That was quick. My grass-fed beef salami has dried and is ready to eat. They cured much quicker than expected, which I attribute to their leanness. With so little fat, the salami was able to quickly and evenly dry. So texturally, these beef salami are very dry, but I find it’s actually a pleasing chew rather than a hard, leathery toughness. They were gently seasoned with garlic and black pepper, but the primary flavor to come through is a savory, beefy flavor. There is a bit of a “tang” in the finish, which I attribute to the type of starter culture I used in inoculating the meat. I’ve been using F-RM-52, which can produce a good amount of lactic bacteria and give a tangy “summer sausage” type flavor. I haven’t noticed it too much in my pork salami, but it was definitely noticeable here.
Moving forward, I’m going to be working with a much milder starter culture, T-SPX, which promises a milder acidity and a more aromatic profile. I’m hoping this will get me closer to recreating the gold standard of American salami, Fra’Mani Salametto, which is just unbelievably perfect. Plus, T-SPX should minimize the acidic tang found here.
Well, regardless, time to eat!